November 2nd, 2016 by Attorney Roger Weinberg
Genesis HealthCare is the largest provider of nursing home and assisted living services in the country. Its website states it operates more than 500 facilities nationwide. The company calls itself “the nation’s leading provider of healthcare services from short-term to long-term and a wide variety of living options and professional clinical services.” Though the company may consider itself a “leader,” the fact is that many of its nursing home residents needlessly suffer due to neglect by its staff.
Genesis’ website lists 35 facilities in Maryland, including:
- Franklin Woods Center, Baltimore
- Corsica Hills Center, Centreville
- Cromwell Center, Baltimore
- Perring Parkway Center, Baltimore
- Loch Raven Center, Baltimore
- Multi-Medical Center, Towson
- Heritage Center, Baltimore
- Homewood Center, Baltimore
- Long Green Center, Baltimore
- PowerBack Rehabilitation, Brightwood Campus
- Caton Manor, Baltimore
- Hammonds Lane Center, Brooklyn Park
- Catonsville Commons, Catonsville
- Patapsco Valley Center, Randallstown
- Severna Park Center, Severna Park
- The Pines, Easton
- Spa Creek Center, Annapolis
- Waugh Chapel Center, Gambrills
- Larkin Chase Center, Bowie
- Chesapeake Woods Center, Cambridge
- Doctors Community Rehabilitation and Patient Care Center, Lanham
- Fairland Center, Silver Spring
- Layhill Center, Silver Spring
- Crescent Cities Center, Riverdale
- Glade Valley Center, Walkersville
- Salisbury Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, Salisbury
- Woodside Center, Silver Spring
- Sligo Creek Center, Takoma Park
- Fox Chase Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, Silver Spring
- Shady Grove Center, Rockville
- Kingshire Manor, Rockville
- Bradford Oaks Center, Clinton
- Ballenger Creek, Frederick
- Waldorf Center, Waldorf
- La Plata Center, La Plata.
Genesis has been the defendant in numerous lawsuits concerning the treatment of its residents, including this one in Pennsylvania:
- A Philadelphia jury awarded $5 million in punitive damages in 2010 in a medical malpractice case involving a Genesis nursing home, Hillcrest Convalescent Home, and a local hospital, Jeanes Hospital, reports the Philadelphia Inquirer.
- The punitive damages award was for $3.5 million against Hillcrest and $1.5 million against Jeanes. The jury previously found the two liable for $1 million in damages due to the 2008 death of Joe Blango.
- The complaint states Blango developed serious bed sores which became infected; he became seriously malnourished and dehydrated during hospital and nursing home stays; and the bed sores worsened and led to his death.
We have represented plaintiffs throughout Maryland who have brought legal actions against Genesis, including those involving claims such as:
- Stage 4 pressure ulcers (bedsores)
- Falls leading to brain injury and death
- Infected wounds leading to sepsis (a complication due to the body’s response to an infection) and death
- An unexplained injury that resulted in a subdural hematoma and death
- Malnutrition and dehydration.
Other common claims against Genesis include:
- Falls resulting in bone fractures
- Failure to render nursing services
- Failure to obtain prompt emergency services
- Physical abuse by staff or other residents with known violent tendencies.
If you believe that your loved one has been seriously injured or killed due to the neglect or negligence of Genesis HealthCare staff, we can help you address the situation and hold those responsible accountable for their actions. At the Law Offices of Roger S. Weinberg, you’ll find compassionate support and experienced advocates to help your family through the tough times. Call 410-825-3161 today to schedule a free consultation.